- Natural Medicine
- Dr David Wikenheiser
- Contact Our Office
Naturopathic Medical Philosophy
Naturopathic Medicine is based on established principles of how our bodies heal, and on keys to good health.
Naturopathic Medical Philosophy
- Prima Non Nocere, first do no harm. In medicine damaging side effects cause harm.
Naturopathic Medical tests and treatments avoid harmful side effects by promoting the natural processes of healing.
In contrast, most of mainstream medicine is a process of finding the drug or surgical procedure with the lowest number of harmful side effects. This process assumes that every medical treatment that uses synthetic drugs and surgery will have harmful side effects that are inevitable and acceptable.
- Vis Medicatrix Naturae, to act in cooperation with the Healing Power of Nature, which is our innate ability to heal. True healing will only occur when we support our true nature.
- Tolle Causam, to address the fundamental causes of disease. True healing requires more than the treatment of symptoms. Only by treating the true cause of a health concern will true healing occur.
- Tolle Totum, to heal the whole person through individualized treatment. While there are general health patterns in society and in families, every person is an individual. Every person is an individual in their personal histories, lifestyle choices, and in their healing patterns. One size does not fit all in healthcare. Individualized health treatments are essential to support a person’s true healing.
- Docere, which means doctor as a teacher. Few people are able to commit to anything they do not understand. Knowledge is power. When you work with a Naturopathic Doctor to discover your patterns of disease and healing you will go beyond just involvement, you will become committed to your own healing.
Docere also means that Naturopathic Doctors teach the principles of disease prevention and healthy living.
Naturopathic Medicine in British Columbia
Naturopathic Medicine in the Province of British Columbia is delivered by licensed Naturopathic Physicians. Naturopathic Physicins are regulated by the College of Naturopathic Physicians of British Columbia as primary care physicians.
In the Province of British Columbia Naturopathic Medicine is delivered by Naturopathic Physicians, who are licensed as Primary Care Doctors. Naturopathic Physicians are trained to diagnose and to treat disease.
Naturopathic Physicians are trained to a similar professional level as Medical Doctors in the depth of their medical training, but they differ in how they apply that medical knowledge. Naturopathic Doctors are guided by the following five principles of Naturopathic Medicine.
Naturopathic Medical Education
The training to become a Naturopathic Doctor starts with a standard university education in the sciences, and is followed by four years of medical training at an approved naturopathic medical school. Then Licensing Board Examinations must be passed for licensure.
Naturopathic medical training starts with the basic medical sciences. This includes the functioning of the healthy body, and how diseases develop. Advanced medical training for Naturopathic Doctors includes the treatment modalities of: Nutrition; Herbal Medicine; Homeopathic Medicine; Traditional Chinese Medicine; Physical Medicine; and Counseling.
Naturopathic medical education is similar yet different from the education of medical doctors. For example, for patient assessment medical doctors rely upon structural laboratory tests, such as standard blood tests, ultrasound imaging, X-rays, and MRIs. While Naturopathic Doctors will often consult these same structural tests, they may also use functional laboratory tests to evaluate the underlying causes of disease. Functional tests may include: Electro Dermal Screening, Functional Nutritional testing such as Brain Nutrition Testing, Biological Terrain Assessment, toxic metal testing, heart disease blood tests and CardioVision blood vessel elasticity testing, as well as bone resorption testing to indicate the functional level of bone building.
Naturopathic Continuing Medical Education is an ongoing process that every licensed Naturopathic Doctor must be involved in. Medical Conventions, Training Seminars and Courses, as well as Practicums are all effective methods of learning old and new medical information in the evolving world of Naturopathic Medicine.
Professional Association Memberships
Dr Wikenheiser is an active member of the Kelowna Sunrise Rotary Club
Dr Wikenheiser has delivered his message of regenerative medicine to audiences across Canada, the US, Europe, and Asia. He was a company spokesman for Natural Factors Manufacturing from 1997 till 2000, and for Flora Manufacturing from 2000 till 2003. While with Flora he was a guest on over 940 radio and TV shows. Dr Wikenheiser was a co host of the popular Vancouver talk show “The Natural Facts” on the 1410 CFUN radio station between May of 1998 till May of 2000.